Saturday, July 11, 2009

Installing IPhone SDK 3.0 on MacOS on VMWare Workstation

After finally installing MacOS in a VM in VMWare, I set out to install iPhone SDK 3.0 on it as well. Here is how you can do it:

First download the iPhone SDK 3.0 from the iPhone Dev Center on the Apple website.
  1. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices
  2. Copy SystemVersion.plist to your desktop
  3. Edit SystemVersion.plist on your desktop and change ocurrences of 10.5 to 10.5.7.
  4. Save and copy this file over the /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
  5. Install iPhone SDK by clicking on the iPhone SDK Package installer.
  6. Choose to install the following components: Developer Tools Essentials and iPhone SDK.
  7. Wait for the install to complete.

Voila! You should now have a properly installed iPhone SDK. Verify that everything works running /Developer/Applications/xcode and create a new iPhone project. Compile and run in the iPhone Simulator to verify that everything is working.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Vahid Kowsari, have you test: upgrade to 10.5.7 from 10.5.5 in VMWare, then instaill iPhone SDK 3.0 ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this tip. The first time I tried to update to 10.5.7 within VMWare I was left with a system that wouldn't boot. I reverted kernels, used your advice and everything worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi

    I've tried your method, and the installer runs on a "JavaScriptError" error message

    any clues?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. i tried your method but everytime i run XCode, it loads for a long time and then the whole system restarts! I never get to see the XCode screen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used pcwiz's guide to install leopard 10.5.2 on vmware from the iso, then I used your trick to get xcode to install, but now when I try to run XCode I get very unpredictable results, sometimes it starts, sometimes everything crashes, just bad...any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi i tried your method sdk installed successfully. but i am unable to run the xcode. Xcode is not opening i am getting an error
    "exception type : exe_bad_access(sigbus)
    exception codes :kern_protection_failure at 0x000000000000000002 "
    what i need to do any idea plz..........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Worked for me. Finally got the installation running without updating, rednering my virtual system useless. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. same as with Sathish Kumar on my side.

    I have a Mac OS 10.5.7 VMWare Image, editing the SystemInfo.plist to 10.5.7, installed iPhone SDK 3.1. But if I want start xcode, it crashes.

    any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I successfully installed SDK 3.1.2 but same as Halunke, tried to fire up Xcode and nothing! an error pops up stating it failed to launch everytime.
    Any ideas are welcome.
    Is anybody out there hearing us...one wonders

    ReplyDelete
  10. Successfully installed with the latest SDK (not sure which it was, but it was with Xcode 3.1.4) .. Thanks for the tips buddy

    ReplyDelete